Sunday, May 12, 2013

Everything I needed to know about being a gran...

My mom and son, circa 1987

Because the past year brought two perfect grandboys into The Grocer’s and my life, on this Mother’s Day my thoughts turn to what my mom (the quintessential grandmother) taught me about being a gran.

1.       It’s all in the details: Kids don’t need lavish gestures or expensive gifts. Some of our now-adult-kids’ fondest memories of my mom include tucking a dollar bill into their hands to spend on whatever they wanted, or the fact that she always (always) had treats in the house ready for their visits.

2.       Everyone is the favorite when they’re at Grandma’s house: My mom has 12 grandchildren and 17-and-counting great-grandchildren, and I would bet $100 bucks that each and every one of the grandkids would tell you they always felt like the favorite when they were with her. If there is one thing I hope to master as a gran, that’s it. 

3.       Grandmas always have time: #3 goes hand-in-hand with #1. Now, I don’t know if this was actually factually true when our kids were growing up, but I can tell you unequivocally that they surely believed it. I don’t think my mom ever uttered the words: “I’m too busy,” when it came to her grandkids. She may not have had material things, but she always had time.

Thanks for the lessons, Mom. I love you.
Happy Mother's Day to ALL the moms out there!

-The Grocer's WIfe