Monday, July 16, 2012

Planting seeds...


I've often written of my love for the changing seasons. I like cyclical things. For me, they give structure and framework to everyday life.

While the past few years have been my first experience living in an agricultural-based community, I find its predictable patterns comforting, just as I do the seasons.

From the barren fields of winter to the first hints of spring green, the fields surrounding the town of Palouse are always in flux. By mid-summer, they come alive and dance with the winds before the first brush of autumn transforms their cloak to harvest gold.

Regardless of the season, the fields are a living embodiment of potential.

Some years they yield stellar crops, while others are bleak at best. Either way, they always hold the promise of next season's possibility.

The Scottish writer Robert Louis Stevenson said, “Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.”

I like that advice. 


Hope you're enjoying a wonderful summer.

--The Grocer's Wife