Wednesday, November 16, 2011

My 'Fall Must-Do List'


In August, I posted my 'Summer Must-Do List' and since we've already had our first snow of the season on The Palouse, I figured a 'Fall Must-Do List' was in order. Here we go:


My Fall Must-Do List

  • Visit the arboretum (as many times as possible): The (UI) arboretum is such fun to walk through. Constantly changing, there's always new eye candy to enjoy. 
  • Indulge in a new hot beverage: This year, I picked up the Stephen's Limited Edition Raspberry Cheesecake Gourmet Hot Cocoa we got in at the market. Lighter in color than traditional cocoa, it's a nice twist on an old favorite.
  • Buy a new scarf: Scarves = happiness (that's all there is to it).
  • Pick a pumpkin: This season, The Grocer surprised me with the most beautiful giant white pumpkin I have ever seen. Better than a dozen roses in my book...boy, does he know the way to my heart.
  • Make something fall-ish: This year, I made crock pot apple butter. One of the perks of owning a market is getting dibs on produce that's not fit to sell. Apples, in particular, are perfect for salvaging by just cutting away spots or bruises (they're often all the sweeter then). And, the apple butter?---to die for.
  • Take pictures of leaves (lots and lots and lots of pictures): This hearkens back to #1. Leaves are as unique and wonderful as snowflakes (and much more colorful).
  • Be thankful: 'Tis the season, and it's the perfect time to reflect on how lucky we are to live and do business in Palouse. Our customers are THE best. Our crew is outstanding. And, this community is second to none. We truly have much to be thankful for, much indeed.


Remember, winter doesn't officially start for five more weeks! 
-The Grocer's Wife