Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Let's take a field trip...Winchester Lake State Park


Our area remained in an arctic grip throughout the weekend; but, The Grocer and I resolved to stare down the risk of frostbite (literary dramatization) and took a little Saturday afternoon field trip to Winchester Lake State Park (that's about an hour-and-a-half drive south on US-95 from Palouse).

Winchester Lake is yet another must take day-trip from Palouse. 
 
And, yes, as I hinted, there were indeed actual hardy souls out there on the lake ice-fishing! I was quite impressed.

See, there they are...seriously hardy souls.

Even with a hut, you'd never find me out there.

The life-jacket station stood ready for warmer days to come.

As did the barbecue pits and picnic tables. 

There was snow...lots and LOTS of snow.

 
Copious amounts of snow that overtook birdhouses and fences. 

Winchester has campsites...and even yurts to rent. Years ago, before we were empty-nesters, The Grocer and I stayed here with our kids. If you've never stayed in a yurt, you should add it to your bucket list. It's fun.


 Along with the snow, there were icicles.

Incredibly grand, shiny, delightful icicles. 

And, did I mention snow...lots and lots and LOTS of snow. 

Not gonna lie, more than once I found myself humming Christmas tunes. All in all, it was a perfect field trip. And, best of all, we made it home sans frostbite:)

-The Grocer's Wife