Saturday, March 12, 2011

It's that time...


Tonight's the night! 2am Sunday, March 13, Daylight Saving Time begins!

I always anticipate 'springing forward'. Sure, it's a bummer to lose an hour of sleep tonight; but, the payoff is so worth it. It comes at the point on the calendar when I desperately need a tangible change...something to shake up and shake off the dusty remnants of January and February. It's like that first cup of coffee after a deep night's sleep.

I love the extra hour of daylight in the evening. It tricks my mind right into believing there's more time to get things done. While the days after we 'fall back' make me want to huddle in and hibernate - the days after we 'spring forward' make we want to go...go...go. It always reminds me of what a little extra daylight can do to a person. 

When The Grocer and I were first married, we lived in Alaska. Summer there meant you rarely saw the darkness. And after winter's stretch of just a tease of daylight, folks came alive like they wanted to soak up EVERY last second of it! They did things on their lunch-breaks that most folks save for the weekend (biking, fishing...active stuff). And, the little kids...they played and played and played outside far past typical bedtimes...or until they finally collapsed from exhaustion.

There was definitely a lesson to be learned watching Alaskans. They seem to understand innately how fleeting seasons are – the worst and harshest, in time, do come to an end. And, the good times...those they savor...well, they're only there for a time as well, so don't waste a moment - soak up EVERY last second.

Truth is, I nearly always succumb to my shortsightedness and impatience; but, I try to remind myself of that lesson...and not just when I'm sick of winter. Who knows - maybe one day, I'll get it right.

Happy Weekend!
-The Grocer's Wife