Friday, February 11, 2011

Sometimes, you gotta take the stairs...

the footbridge in town

Do you ever have trouble sleeping?

I do. Often.

I struggle with what I not-so-lovingly refer to as 'insomnia jags' (I don't think I'm quite using jag correctly, but it has a ring to it, no?).

It happens if I'm starting something new; if I'm worrying incessantly about someone or something (can I get an 'amen' from all my fellow moms out there); or, sometimes it happens for no apparent reason whatsoever.

I know the culprit of this particular sleeplessness: it's the 'starting something new' (as in this blog and, as of Wednesday, a Facebook Page for the market—yay!) and the subsequent worrying incessantly that follows.

In my mind, it plays something like this:

“I don't know what I'm doing.”
“Who am I kidding?”
“How will I figure it out?”

Repeat that 500 times (faster....faster)...yep, that's what it's like.

New things are scary. Being out of your element is intimidating. And the last month has found me knee-deep in both. Even though I'm loving this blog format, it's definitely a whole new world for me.

So, Wednesday night as I lay awake, my thoughts kept wandering to the footbridge in town (see pic above). It's lovely. It runs behind the market and takes you across the river, and it looks like something out of a child's storybook.

I kept thinking how standing in the middle of a footbridge feels a lot like life.

So often, you find yourself in a place where you must decide: Do I go 'this way' or 'that way'...'forward' or 'back'? One direction takes you back to what you know - in the case of our footbridge, that's Main Street in town. 

back to Main Street

The other way takes you forward - up a staircase whose top you can't quite see over yet.

the staircase

Does it sound familiar to you, too?

Standing on a footbridge and trying to decide which way to go.

So, in the case of this blog and the new Facebook Page, I'm going to pick 'the staircase'. I can't quite see over the top just yet...but, the sunlight's beginning to peek through.

Happy Weekend!
-The Grocer's Wife